[NCLUG] A laptop computer

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Tue Apr 3 15:25:55 MDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com> wrote:

> > Hard to beat a Macbook Pro if you've got the $$.  And they run Linux
> > (dual- or even triple-boot) just fine with a couple additional drivers.
>
> I have another friend with a Macbook Pro that has told me that the hardware
> in there is not as standard as generic hardware, so supporting it is not as
> easy as it could be, so it's not so great for running Linux on.  He runs
> Linux under a virtual machine in OSX rather than native.

I'm going to assume that I'm at least one of these friends, and chime in.
:)  The Canonical kernel guys have indicated that Mac hardware is within
spec, but it goes further than the spec so that it's more consistent.  I
don't know many more details (it's been a very long time since I did any
kernel work at all).

I have recently gone back to running Ubuntu natively on my Macbook Pro (as
a dual boot), mostly because I prefer to do my development inside an lxc
rather than a VM.  If you do that and you want to use Ubuntu, make sure to
use the Mac specific ISO, since it adds some packages with modules that
help to support this more specific hardware.

Cheers,
Paul