[NCLUG] [Poll] VPS and web mangement hosting

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Sat Feb 18 12:45:52 MST 2012

Bob and company:

Comments below.  For reference I receive this list in Digest format, so pardon the delays in responding to list postings in advance.

----- Bob Proulx <bob at proulx.com> wrote: -----
> Crawford Rainwater wrote:
> > I am putting up a few polls on Linux ETC's site to get a feel for
> > what folks might desire for VPS ("Virtual Private Servers") and web
> > management hosting services.
>
> I am disappointed because it would have been interesting to know how
> much ram people desired, and how much disk they desired, bandwidth,
> and so forth individually. But instead the choices of ram and disk
> and user accounts and number of databases and bandwidth are coupled
> together in lockstep making the poll rather uninteresting.

I did think about that, but then there is also the addition option/choice on the VPS side of a "custom VPS" built from a base.  The WHM ("web hosting management" or web and email hosting) side is more fixed since there is the case of "novice Joe" who wants such, but does not know how to maintain such, so on and so forth.  Giving a "fixed option" along those lines is better suited.  For those wanting more flexibility than a WHM system, there is the VPS option and creating a system for one's personal use.  As long as the client follows the Terms Of Service and Acceptable Use Policy, the VPS is pretty much an open container to be used as one pleases.

The choices given were pretty much an average of other WHM and VPS hosting companies offerings is how I put things together for reference.  I know this may not fit "everyone's" needs, just trying to hit the majority while being flexible as well.

> There will be no way to tell if people are choosing an option based
> upon ram needs or disk needs or something else. For example if I vote
> for an option for 15G of storage does that mean I really need 1.5G
> ram? Can anyone who needs 25 DBs fit within 25G of storage? If
> someone requires 15G of disk, which seems like a small amount to me in
> these days of heavy graphics on web pages, then do they really need 25
> DBs and 250 user account and 2500GB BW? It would be better if those
> were individually selectable.

See above some.  There can be the "ala carte" option as well, but that would be a bit more "interesting" to encode provisioning wise.  For now, we are trying to keep it simple on the WHM side of things.  The VPS side can be more flexible, though at a higher cost accordingly.

> But I am not the target market anyway since coupling email + web is
> already a strange combination.

Bob, did you consider the VPS side of the polls as well? ;-)

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550
web:    http://www.linux-etc.com

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.