[NCLUG] programming language

Quent Johnson quent at pobox.com
Thu Jun 7 21:16:08 MDT 2012

On 06/07/12 17:48, Kerry Miller wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I think I may have been misunderstood.  My programming experience covers
> about 30 years I have been using Linux for only about 1997-1998.  In the
> long past I have even used PASCAL, an interpreted language called Rocky
> Mountain Basic even on a HPUX machine.  I am some what familliar with a
> development system called xbasic.  I am fairly versed in developing an
> algorithm and applying the code to execute it.  I have chosen computer
> programming as a way to keep my mind active in my retirement years.  The
> main things I am unfamiliar with are concurrent program segments or
> threads and GUI programming.
>
> I own 2 radios ICOM IC-706MK2G and the ICOM IC-7000 with what ICOM calls
> CI-V computer interface Five.  The CI-V interface is essentially a one
> wire net work.  and I would like to write a GUI program to interface
> with them.

You probably already know about the amateur radio support within the
linux world. If not, then check this out:

  http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/hamlib/index.php?title=Main_Page

Note that hamlib has, in their words, "Language bindings are provided
for C, C++, Perl, Python, and TCL.

There's this ICOM tool:

http://radio.linux.org.au/pkgdetail.phtml?sectpat=rigcontrol&ordpat=title&descpat=&pkgid=67

and several others:

http://radio.linux.org.au/?sectpat=rigcontrol&ordpat=title

If you like operating using digital modes, there's fldigi, which seems
pretty well done to me.

73,
Quent Johnson, NM0E