[NCLUG] Hard drive recovery

Michael Coffman coffman at ftc.avagotech.com
Tue Jun 19 10:47:21 MDT 2012

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Chad Perrin wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 05:02:41PM -0600, Michael Coffman wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Any suggestions on where to take or send a laptop hard drive to try and
>> get data recovered from it?   I don't know the actual state of the drive
>> as it isn't mine.   I have zero experience with laptops or trying to get
>> data from one that is 'broken'.   The person has taken it to officemax and
>> bestbuy and they both said the drive could not be read.   Any
>> recommendations for a local hardware guru that could maybe extract data
>> from the disks would be greatly appreciated.
>
> What's the problem?  Did the laptop just "stop working" somehow?
> Depending on what happened, it may be that all you need to do is hook up
> the drive to another system to read data from it, and someone here might
> be able to help you with that (myself included).

Chad,

Here is what the person with laptop sent me..

"I had heard noises such as click-click-clock-clock coming from the
laptop's hard drive on Saturday afternoon, before I shut it down.

Since then, whenever I power the laptop ON, this is the message that
appears:
No bootable device - insert book disk and press any key

F2
Startup test failed
Boot device not found (03F0)

F3
Run In Test failed
Boot device not found (03F0)

F4
Hard Disk Test failed
Boot device not found (03F0)

F11
Diagnostic Log
Result: 03F0"

After that they took it to officemax and then best buy.   Then the
stopped by my desk yesterday.

I am going to forward the other suggestions to them.  I will also pass
along your offer to possibly assist.