[NCLUG] UBUNTU Linux

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Wed Mar 14 11:19:07 MDT 2012

Kerry Miller wrote:
> Grant Johnson wrote:
> > It may be in sleep, but hibernation is a full power off, and
> > requires the power button to get back. If it is slow out of sleep
> > and has a lot of disk activity, it may just be swapped out. You
> > could reduce the swappiness and see if it helps.
>
> Ok,  sense I have never tried to monitor swap activity how is that done?

Unfortunately trying to describe how to monitor swap activity isn't
simple.  For me it generally involves a lot of typing in text terminal
windows and looking at command output.  If you are up for it then the
'vmstat' command includes si/so swap-in and swap-out rates.  If those
numbers are high then your system is swapping.  Instead I will ask
about the problem in a different way.

How much memory do you have in your system?

I know you said you are running GNOME 3 but I am not and I don't know
what is available in GNOME 3 to give you that information.  The fancy
desktop environments all seem to lack a simple menu accessible "About
this computer" function.  Lacking that, get to a terminal window and
look at the output of the 'free' command.

  $ free

Bob