[NCLUG] Debian wireless broken

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue May 8 00:41:13 MDT 2012

On 05/01/2012 03:50 PM, jcrout at softhome.net wrote:
> to the NCLUG group.   I'm writing to ask what you did to get it
> working.  (I've got no love of Networking Manager.  I've created cron
> jobs to overwrite some of its changes).

What exactly is it that is causing you problems, and what sort of things
are you overwriting with cron jobs?

In general Network Manager for a laptop type machine works extremely well
these days (as in, the last 3 or 4 years).  I connect to all kinds of
wireless networks around town, including connecting to my phone, and really
Network Manager works great...

It may be that you either need to use an "/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d"
entry, or to edit the configuration of some locations so that they don't
update your resolv.conf, for example.  You can do the latter by editing the
connection using the Network Manager applet and in the "IPv4" tab say "DHCP
(address only)" rather than "DHCP".