[NCLUG] Fedora 17 Gnome 3

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Tue Nov 20 02:41:19 MST 2012

On 11/18/2012 12:33 PM, N0WIQ wrote:
> Hi  people,
>
> I have been trying to make Gnome 3 as usuful as I nwas doing with Gnome
> 2.  The big thing I notice is the lack of panels that I could drop quick
> launch buttons in a drawer and keep them organized with different
> drawers.  I need a Gnome 3 user to mention how to do all the things with
> gnome 3 that I had been using with gnome 2.  I have installed
> gnome-tweak-tool and that went a long way toward making me happy with
> Gnome 3 but something is still lacking.

And you're going to find it continually lacking even at this point in
time...  I'm running 3.7.1 dev builds and they STILL haven't fixed basic
sh*t like setting Fonts in the main settings panel.  See this for Linus
Torvalds perspective, which really nails the main problems:

https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/UkoAaLDpF4i

Have you tried Cinnamon?  It's Gnome 3 gussied-up to (mostly) work like
Gnome 2.  From the good folks at Linux Mint (their repos will work fine
with Ubuntu, I've tried it):

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/

And as someone mentioned, there's also MATE, which is an attempt to keep
Gnome 2 going:

http://mate-desktop.org/

Regards,
Mike