[NCLUG] Fedora 17 Gnome 3

Mark Thiele horsetrader at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 08:18:11 MST 2012

After reading a few of the responses in the past few days I decided to give
Ubuntu 12.04 another try.  I had tried it on 3 different machines
previously but could not avoid some minor display issues or what seemed
like a noticeable lag with the Unity interface.  The Gnome environments
also offered little relief.

I am a clinger to what is familiar.  Someone mentioned "Mate" desktop and
after upgrading to 12.04 I installed Mate, and so far it looks and feels
pretty much like 10.04 with Gnome 2.??.  I plan on checking my hardware on
my other 2 personal machines to see if they can handle 12 and then upgrade
and install Mate.

I am a basic user.  Web surfing, Pidgin chatting, online classes, VERY
basic html/python coding (Learning by doing).  My needs are minimal.  I do
not play games, run a db or anything like that.  So, for the time being I
have a Dell D820 running Ubuntu 12.04, and may upgrade my Toshiba
(El-cheapo model) soon.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Mike Loseke <mike.loseke at gmail.com> wrote:

> Still happily using Gnome3 here. My workflow includes xterms, browsers and
> the ability to easily spread and organize these over a dynamic set of
> workspaces.  I'm glad that there's less desktop manager to get in the way.
> The complete lack of any kind of dock (I disable the dash) or hierarchical
> menuing system (also disabled) is a huge plus for me.
>

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Dan Fink <danbob88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Gnome seems to be going the way of the Windows 8 and Unity desktops;
> hiding
> > all the stuff I use in my workflow every day.
> >
> > I put Linux Mint with the XFCE desktop on my tiny netbook last weekend;
> > it's fine, but had some bugs to be repaired, which was disappointing.
> (but
> > easy to fix - workspace switcher, video/sound sync)
> >
> > When I upgrade my OS this winter, I'll be installing Mint KDE. I'm done
> > with Gnome. XFCE is fine for slow systems and wimpy laptops like mine.
> >
> > --
> > Dan Fink,
> > Executive Director;
> > Otherpower
> > Buckville Energy Consulting
> > Buckville Publications LLC
> > NABCEP / IREC accredited Continuing Education Providers
> > 970.672.4342 (voicemail)
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:41 AM, Michael Milligan <milli at acmeps.com>
> > wrote:

> Gnome