[NCLUG] I just did a system update

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Mon Oct 15 13:19:43 MDT 2012

Kerry Miller wrote:
> First:  I want to make a backup of the Operating system and application
> files after an update.  Once I have the back up I would like to rebuild
> the operating system and application list from the back up easily.  I
> guess I need to realize the process of doing this.  Especially assuming
> a crash of the system disk and haveing to reinstall the boot loader.

What you are asking for sounds like Mondo Rescue.  It looks like a
perfect match for what you want.

  http://www.mondorescue.org/

Mondo builds a bootable recovery image that is an exact snapshot of
your running system.  To recover you boot the recovery image and pour
the bits back onto your disk.

But if you have a large disk then it might be a large amount of
recovery media!  I haven't used it for a very long time and I have no
idea if it is suitable for today's terabyte disk systems.  But when
everything would fit onto a cdrom it would build a fully bootable bit
image recovery snapshot of the system which worked well enough.

Bob