[NCLUG] GNOME 3.x

Ben West mrgenixus at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 12:33:39 MDT 2012

I have to say that, while there are some maturity problems with gnome3 It's
much better, now that's it officially released;  before the release, using
it was a complete hack;

I'd also like to challenge new users of gnome3 to consider changing their
basic workflow to something that requires less change to gnome3.  I realize
I sound like a complete fanboy, but I agree with most of the gnome design
decisions and find that doing things the 'gnome 3 way' has substantially
improved my productivity. It's not what I would run in an
entertainment-oriented situation, but for actually writing prose, code, or
communication, I find the unobtrusiveness and minimalism refreshingly
distraction-free.  Adding more widgets and extensions takes away from that
almost immediately.

As far as adding launchers to the desktop, nautilus hasn't substantially
changed, so doing so follows the long-standing approach of right-click ->
add launcher -> select a target ->save.

Because I upgraded to gnome3 from gnome2, my desktop icons don't seem to
have been hidden.  I know there's a quick fix online