[NCLUG] Networking Issue

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 10:06:06 MDT 2013

I suspect "Tx discards" reflect buffer limitations somewhere... which
explains why enabling flow control end-to-end mostly solves the discards
problem but negatively impacts throughput.

I'm not familiar with HP's mesh technology, but if it amounts to link
aggregation without equal-cost load balancing, you may see discards due to
issues with the hashing algorithm.

For 1 Gbps and faster connectivity, I would strongly consider implementing
end-to-end jumbo frames to maximize performance.  Depending on the buffer
architecture, it could positively or negatively impact the discards
problem.  On modern equipment, I've only seen improvements from
implementing it.

P.S. - Isn't the 2500 mostly an ancient 10/100 Mbps switch with limited
support for 1 Gbps?