[NCLUG] ZFS RAID-Z2 for /home on Ubuntu 12.04

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Aug 12 10:06:08 MDT 2013

As Bob said, because of the way you replied to this it showed up hidden in
the huge MySQL thread and if a co-worker didn't point this thread
out I probably never would have seen it.

I have never run /home on ZFS, but I have no reason to expect it wouldn't
work.  I would use the zfs-on-linux version rather than the FUSE version if
I were starting today, but all my systems use FUSE because that is what I
had tested for my backups applications, predating the zfs-on-linux project.

I would probably set it up as a pool called "storage" or similar, and then
create a "home" ZFS under that pool, and set that up with a mountpoint of
/home.  It should get mounted on boot as part of the ZFS startup.

However, I haven't used the zfs-on-linux code, so there are likely some
details that I'm just not aware of here.  But the overall plan of using ZFS
for /home seems solid.

Exporting it to another machine via NFS?  No idea, I haven't exported any
ZFS over NFS.