[NCLUG] Oops

Andrew Gilmore agilmore2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 12:15:49 MST 2013

> Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 22:35:18 -0500
> From: Kerry Miller <n0wiq at comcast.net>
> Subject: [NCLUG] Oops
> To: NCLUG <nclug at lists.nclug.org>
>
> Hi People,
>
> I was running Fedora-17 with a GNOME-3.4.2 desk top I down loaded the
> shell script fedora-upgrade to make a Fedora-18 system which should have
> GNOME-3.6.4.  When instructed to I re-booted the computer.  The displays
> on the screen seemed normal but the log on prompt never apeared,  the
> blue f was displayed and a small busy circle was displayed in the lower
> right quadrant.
>
> As I said before I can log into the system via ssh as root or as user.
> If I knew which file/s to touch with vim I might be able to correct the
> situation.

After an upgrade, I tend to do a yum update as well before worrying too
much about whether graphical logins are working.

So, boot into text mode, do a yum update, and reboot. You may need to
update the extra repositories you're using as well, if you're using binary
graphics drivers.

If that doesn't help, try reconfiguring the graphic drivers. Move the old
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file out of the way, and run telinit 3, then telinit 5.
Look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log for clues.

Good luck!

Andrew