[NCLUG] Oops

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Feb 7 14:09:33 MST 2013

> After an upgrade, I tend to do a yum update as well before worrying too
> much about whether graphical logins are working.

I never expect an inter-version upgrade to work.  So I'm rarely
disappointed.  :-)

Even if you're fastidious about only installing good packages and not
installing cruft or forcing packages or anything, you can end up with junk.
You can also end up with junk in your dot-files in your home directory that
aren't compatible with the new version.

So, when I go to a new version I will often just do a fresh install, that
way I know I won't be messing around with weirdness.  I know the developers
try hard to make these upgrades work, but it's a hard problem.  And I have
a workflow I've written for upgrading my system.  That makes it pretty
simple to do a fresh install.

So, my recommendation would be to give up on the update and just
re-install.  It'll probably take less time than tracking down why it didn't
work.