[NCLUG] sw raid, recovery after install

Zak Smith zak at computer.org
Wed Jan 2 23:35:21 MST 2013

Between about 5 and 3 years ago, my brother and I both lost data using
linux RAID5 in circumstances that had nothing worse than one device
with a transient error.  (These were generally using the SATA versions
of enterprise type drives.)

As a result I have transitioned to using rsnapshot'd (rsync with
history) pairs or (reluctantly) RAID1 pairs, then having a second
physical box with the same level of redundancy.

I am curious of the "prosumer" NAS boxes like the Synology 412+/1812+
series have similar problems or are actually solid.

-z

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 11:21:22PM -0700, Matt Rosing wrote:

> > I suggest that the choice of RAID5 isn't the best choice.  I would
> > suggest using RAID1 across two of the drives or adding a fourth drive
> > for RAID10.  RAID5 saves a little money up front with an additional
> > risk of data loss later.  I won't put RAID5 on any of my own machines.
>
> Interesting comments, Bob. I might have to shuffle some drives around. I
> can easily make a RAID10. Thanks.

# Zak Smith    mobile 970-232-4468