[NCLUG] sw raid, recovery after install

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Thu Jan 17 04:48:35 MST 2013

On 01/16/2013 11:08 PM, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On 01/16/2013 05:30 PM, Michael Milligan wrote:
> It may be worthless data, but I can see situations where it's a useful
> data-point.
>
> My recommendation would be to let the RAID sync...

I'd rather tell it "--assume-clean" since I burn in new drives (which is
actually something you taught me a long time ago) and have all their
blocks zeroed after that is done, so I already know they will be synced.

But I personally have given up on RAID{4,5,6} and moved on to ZFS for
the time being.  I love snapshots.  ;-)  For backups.  And I love
instantly restoring to a snapshot taken prior to running an "apt-get
[dist-]upgrade" and finding too many things broken afterwards to waste
time fixing it for now, just push the "undo" button that apt has been
missing forever.

Have I mentioned that I've been running Debian GNU/kFreeBSD with good
results?  The best of both worlds I tell ya.

Regards,
Mike