[NCLUG] debugging ftp iptables

Chris csohns at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 15:33:39 MST 2013

Matt,

I've honestly never had to deal with MTU problems, my routers have always gracefully handled everything, DF marks or not.  576 is interesting though, it's 1001000000 in binary.

Your fw masq doesn't need a dnat unless you're forwarding specific ports to other places on your LAN. The NAT handles it all on its own when you masq egress traffic.

A state-full fw might call ICMP packets within the same sequence as related, but other than that possibility ICMP packets are not "related" to FTP packets.

If you're comfortable sending me your iptables configuration off-list, I'll gladly glance over it.  Feel free to mark out private information.

Chris