[NCLUG] FDD controller

Steve Wolf stevewolf6 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 17:40:38 MST 2013

We have a computer that I originally built in 1996 with a 32MHz i386
and Windows 95.  Over the years it has had many upgrades to
motherboards, processors, peripherals, hard drives, power supplies,
and cases, and currently runs Windows XP (which Microsoft is convinced
is a pirated copy, although I've gone the official upgrade route from
95 to 98se to XP).  Its latest upgrade, which I'm doing this weekend,
is to upgrade the motherboard/CPU/memory, as our existing processor
burnt itself out after a fan failure last week.  So the machine is
jumping from 700MHz to 2.9GHz.

Throughout all the upgrades, I've kept the same old 3-1/2" floppy
drive just to be retro.  The new motherboard doesn't have any IDE or
FDD connectors.  I can't seem to find any PCIe FDD controllers.  Or
PCI for that matter.  Do such controllers exist, or do I finally have
to part ways with this small but sentimental piece of 1980's
technology?

Obligatory Linux comment: our Frankenstein Windows box sits behind my
CentOS firewall/server. :-)  We keep it around so I can accomplish
those occasional can't-do-on-Linux tasks, like updating my airplane's
GPS database chips and running tax software.

Regards,
Steve