No subject

Tue Jun 4 12:25:35 MDT 2013

<quote>
Unlimited Internet Access: Customers have unlimited access as long as they
are actually using the Internet to send and receive data. Should their
connection be idle for up to thirty minutes, Qwest.net will drop their
connection.
<unquote>
I suspect if you overuse their ports, you will be warned about the above
AUP, given the option for 24/7 at a specified cost, and dropped if you don't
comply.

> I bought a new 3com Office Connect 3C892 for about $300 as I didn't want
> to wait for an auction to end on ebay ...

Netgear RT328 eBay Buy It Now prices range from $17.99 to $40.00.  It will
do NAT, Bridging, port forwarding.  These were $400 new and many are still
under warranty.  The Netgear GUI software can be a bit buggy sometimes, but
the Telnet menu works fine.  You can flash later firmware, if needed.  I
have a copy of 2.2 beta, if someone wants one.  It's never been available on
Netgear's site, but works fine.  It came from their tech support originally.
The manuals are a bit sketchy in places also.  There's good documentation on
Netgear's support site.

> > Also, can I get by setting everything up just by reading the HOWTO?
> > (I haven't read it yet.)
>
> I didn't even read a HOWTO, but I know quite a bit about networking ...
> it was all pretty easy to setup and has been working beautifully for
> a week now ...

Once in a while I find some variation in the SPID suffix (0101 instead of
1111) and central office services (call waiting on ISDN) and switch type.
NT-1 works best in most cases.  ATT 5ESS works better in others.

> > I believe that this will be done through Qwest and FRII, 128/128.
> > It's the only upgrade option available in the location we're going to
> > be setting up at.  Right now, there are four computers on an IP
> > masqueraded network running through a modem that won't go above 33kbps
> > as a result of poor semi-rural phone lines.  It's a bit slow. :-)

FRII will definitely not allow 24/7 except for dedicated access rates.

> My computers sit behind my firewall box and I really only use 1 of the
> IP addresses (ok, two if you count the internal interface on the 3com
> box) that I got assigned ...

If you want a routed subnet from FRII, you will need both a static and a
subnet.  With port forwarding, you shouldn't need more than a static IP.

We struggled a bit a week ago with a 4-channel, 256K, ISDN on a CISCO 1700
with two WIC interfaces ($1900).  Turns out there are some (known, but not
to us) route caching (default) issues that needed to be cleared up so that
it would bind appropriately without doing connection resets.  Working fine
now.

Another very good use for ISDN is if your company has an ISDN line for a
remote connection, you can run STAC compression and route through the
company network to the Internet.  I've hit 540k with STAC on LAN/LAN
connections with ASCII files.  Compressed formats don't compress much
further with STAC but 155k was sustainable.  It might be cheaper to pay for
two ISDN lines to a network with T-1 or fat DSL access than to pay for
dedicated ISDN/ISP access.  Depends on your mission.  Last time I checked
FRII would only put STAC on dedicated ISDN and there was a monthly STAC
charge above the dedicated costs.

For a real appreciation of ISDN, consider a LAN/LAN connection to a main
office and roaming access through one of the POTS ports.  Since you get two
POTS numbers and PORTS with ISDN, you can set up RAS access and connect
locally and to the Internet through your router (using an analog modem on
one of the POTS ports into your server).  Works great for a consultant on
the move around town but also depends on whether the Central Office can
offer a pre-emption on the ISDN SPID.

Also, when you order your ISDN, be sure to tell Qwest you want NO L/D
provider (unless you do, of course).  You get two working numbers with ISDN
and their customer reps may add your existing L/D carrier (with monthly
minimum charge) without your asking.  One time they added MCI to one of my
setups, when the L/D of choice was ATT.  Go figure where the incentives are.

Frank Whiteley
Greeley