[NCLUG] Need bare-bones VGA card

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Mon Mar 4 21:32:23 MST 2013

On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 08:53 -0700, Steve Wolf wrote:

> I just refreshed my server hardware to a Dell that contains an NVIDIA
> Quadro FX 4000.  That thing puts out the heat!
>
> I don't usually have a monitor connected to the server, and want the
> box to be as quiet as possible (i.e. less fan noise).  So I just want
> something to which I can connect a VGA monitor (text mode) on occasion
> for maintenance.
>
> All the stuff available on NewEgg appears to be gamer-centric: GeForce
> this, GeForce that.  Is there a simple, inexpensive, low-power 800x600
> VGA card still available somewhere, PCI or AGP?  I'll swap a Quadro FX
> 4000 for it. :-)

In case anybody was looking for an answer, my 2010-era HP Desktop PC has
a Radeon 5450 Cedar PRO in it.  Has worked perfectly with multiple
versions of Linux, requires no fan, comes in half-height PCIe 2.0 X16
versions.

I was looking to refresh it with something a bit snappier so my 2010-era
PC would feel faster.  Convince myself to ignore getting a faster CPU,
etc, and noticed Radeon 5450 cards on newegg and amazon for $29.

For $29 it's current enough to do lots of nice things quickly while also
cheap and quiet and supported.

Cheers,

--
Maxwell Spangler
Linux System Administration / Virtualization / Development / Computing