[NCLUG] Disk usage

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Oct 12 15:17:44 MDT 2013

Kerry Miller wrote:
> My question is really meant to be:  Is there an entry to put into
> fstab to make the mounted volume write- able by the user.  I know I
> can log in as root and use chown -R user:group folder the volume is
> mounted under. But this seems like a chore that shouldn't be
> necessary.

Thanks for that clarification.  The answer depends upon the type of
file system you are mounting.  Is it a FAT filesytsem such as a usb
storage device?  Or is it a real Unix filesystem such as ext3?

If you don't know then you can use 'df' to tell you.  Where "/mnt" is
your mount point.  The "Type" field will tell you the type of the file
system.  (There are many ways to find this information.  But this one
is easy and useful to know.)

  df -T /mnt

If it is "vfat" then I would answer one way.  If it is something else
such as "ext3" then I would answer a different way.


More information about the NCLUG mailing list