[NCLUG] VIM Talk

Brett Johnson brett at hp.com
Mon Sep 16 14:56:55 MDT 2013

On 09/10/2013 09:19 PM, Joshua Datko wrote:
> There was some discussion about terminal multiplexers.  Terminator was mentioned,
> which was new to me, as well as good old GNU Screen and Tmux.  I like using Byobu
> which works with either Screen / Tmux and provides some fancy window dressings.
>
> Terminator: http://www.tenshu.net/p/terminator.html
>
> I have a blog post about it here: http://datko.net/2013/07/06/byobu-fancy-window-dressings-on-gnu-screen/
>
> Or just go directly there: http://byobu.co/

Thanks for the pointers!  I hadn't heard of byobu before.

On a similar topic, I've been looking for a terminal emulator like terminator (or
gnome-terminal, for that matter), which can open a new tab in an existing window, while
executing a command in that new tab.

For example, say I want a new ssh session to the same machine I already have an ssh
session running to, and I want it to be a tab in the currently open window.  Currently,
with gnome-terminal, I can do this with "Shift+Ctrl+T", then type out "ssh -i
$PATH/$KEYNAME foo at bar.com".  But I'd really like to be able to script this, and put it in
a unity quicklist, or .desktop file, or dropdown menu, so it'd be something like
"gnome-terminal --inwindow=bar.com --newtab --execute="ssh -i $PATH/$KEYNAME foo at bar.com".

Any suggestions?

--
Brett Johnson <brett at hp.com>
"In great affairs men show themselves as they wish to be seen; in small things