[NCLUG] configuring dual IP addresses, forwarding one to the other network card.

John Gilmore j.arthur.gilmore at gmail.com
Tue May 27 11:27:20 MDT 2014

I want to give my computer two IP addresses on eth1, and forward one
of them transparently out eth0, in order to monitor network traffic to
my printer.

Script/suggestions? I figure one of you guys knows how to do this
right of the top of your head.

Situation:

I've got a printer (hp color laserjet 2830) that's spewing out black
pages. Continually. No computer in my part of the network has print
jobs of any sort queued.

I really need to figure out where this crap is coming from, but since
I'm using a switch, I can't see the packets going to the printer, in
order to finger the computer that's the culprit.

My working theory is that one of the (windows) computers on the other
half of the network (my brother's place) is infected with something.

If so, I need a solid, irrefutable ID.