[NCLUG] I was stupid. Learn from my pain.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Sep 3 15:54:49 MDT 2014

I think the issue here may have been the "fdisk /dev/md0".  I would
normally fdisk the /dev/sd[bc] sort of devices, set the partitions to type
"fd" (RAID autodetect, from memory), then create the RAID array on those
partitions.  Then I would pvcreate /dev/md1 or whatever it ends up being.
Then add that PV to your volume group.

Note that LVM writes meta-data to the END of the device, and fdisk writes
to the beginning.  So you can end up in a state where you have both,
because one doesn't overwrite the other.  When I've gotten into funny
states before, I've overwritten the beginning AND the end of the device and
started over.