[NCLUG] Modules not loading

Brent Wilkins brent.wilkins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 10:19:26 MDT 2014

I'm running Linux Mint 17 (based on Ubuntu 14.04).  I'm not sure what I did
to break things, maybe an update, maybe using nvidia drivers recently,
maybe booting into a linux-next kernel, etc.  More times than not when I
boot my wireless, my audio, and my desktop environment (Cinnamon) all fail
to load.  Wi-Fi is the most important to me, so I played with that first.

I can get my Wi-Fi working with the following:
$ sudo depmod -a
$ sudo modprobe iwl4965

This will allow the driver and its 3 dependencies to be found an load.
 Isn't a system supposed to sort all of that out at boot time?  Does anyone
know where I should poke around to find the root cause?  Thanks.

Brent Wilkins *|* 970.430.6699 *|* brent.wilkins at gmail.com