[NCLUG] Hosting a BeagleBone Tor Relay

Josh Datko jbdatko at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 09:48:01 MST 2015

On Wed, 2015-12-02 at 09:19 -0700, Quentin Hartman wrote:
> I run a tor node on an Rpi in Amsterdam and it works well. I imagine one of
> the new Rpi 2's, or even the zero if you happen to have a usb ethernet
> adapter lying around could do it on the suuuuuuper cheap.

Did you mail the Rpi there?

While I have my doubts about an USB-to-Ethernet device, the issue is not
the cost of the device, but access to a fast connection.

At 1GHz/512MB RAM a relay will become bandwidth limited pretty quickly
as in, it will mostly be idle and it will not gain traction in the tor
consensus. At least, that was my experience when I ran the BBB for about
a year on comcast.

Ideally, I'll like to try this experiment on three devices, basically a
small/med/large (BeagleBoard X-15 or Jetson).