[NCLUG] file system damage from dd with of=<a drive in my file system>

Ray Frush phred at rflm.net
Sun Nov 22 09:17:40 MST 2015

Well, that was unexpected.   A default Redhat install will use LVM to allocate space on /dev/sda, so that’s expected, but it’s been a while since I’ve installed on a system with two disks.  I didn’t expect it to use /dev/sdb as well.  (Usually, I’ll add in a second disk after the base install)   Did the disk layout get customized during install?

In any case, your Volume Group is made up of physical volumes from both /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb1, and then I’m guessing the Logical Volumes were allocated out of that combination of space.   Since you’ve overwritten /dev/sdb (and /dev/sdb1) with the contents of a large ISO file,  I wouldn’t expect any data on /dev/sdb1 to be recoverable.

—
Ray Frush