[NCLUG] Windows Server 2003 to Linux migration

Jeffrey D. Means meaje at meanspc.com
Tue Jul 19 09:53:11 MDT 2016

Your main problem will be the asp[x] website. Other than that I'd say take a look at RedHat or if that doesn't meet your budget then my next choice would be CentOS. I think you'll find that running a Linux server is almost as easy as a Microsoft one the only differences are going to be the commands used to administer the system. Under M$ everything is done via a slick GUI whereas under *nix mostly is done at a command prompt. There are ways to have GUI based adminisration but the easiest and best are mostly Web Frontends to the aforementioned commands. I know this probably wasn't what you were after but I think that it will be better for you to look at the different options for your needs before saying I need to replace a Win 2k3 server with a Linux one that has to do X...
Good luck with your experiment.
Jeff Meansmeaje at meanspc.com

-+- "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please do use in the listed order." - Ed Howdershelt
Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Devicemeaje at meanspc.com
-------- Original message --------From: "F.L. Whiteley" <techzone at greeleynet.com> Date: 7/17/16  10:25 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: nclug at nclug.org Subject: [NCLUG] Windows Server 2003 to Linux migration
Would someone on this list have specific experience of a migration from
Windows Server 2003 to Linux?  Or a recommendation?

Would like to discuss.

More specifically:

The server is:

-Running on a dedicated server (real piece of hardware). There is no
hardware firewall.

-Windows Server 2003 (SP2)

-IIS 6.0

-SQL Server 2005 (express) running a half dozen databases

-Most of the website is asp but some is aspx

-There are a host of plug-ins that handle xml, images, etc.

-DNS to some external subdomains.

-Hosts an additional half dozen domains, mostly archival.

E-mail is hosted on an updated local exchange server so not part of the
migration.

Options are Server 2012/2016 migration or port to Linux.

TIA,

Frank Whiteley

970-330-2050

To unsubscribe, subscribe, or modify