[NCLUG] Windows Server 2003 to Linux migration

F.L. Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Tue Jul 19 14:44:39 MDT 2016

Jeff,

Thanks for your comments.

You are correct the asp(x) website is a problem, but the migrations to W2012 R2 is no picnic either.  As I understand it a lot of the SQL code will have to be replaced by Powershell scriptlets.  ASP(X) is not enabled natively in W2012 R2 but can be switched on.

If we are looking at that sort of expense and effort, perhaps a linux port might be preferable and remove ourselves from the vendor track.  There are some reasons for a rebuild from the ground up.  That said there are over 20 years archival data in some of the database instances.

Conceivably we are looking at 8 to 12 months of effort.

Frank Whiteley