[NCLUG] Looking for a better, but simple IDE (or just editor)

Bill Thorson bill at tstorms.com
Fri Mar 3 11:47:45 MST 2017

On 03/03/2017 10:57 AM, Grant Johnson wrote:
> Thank you all so much.   After trying everything suggested, I ended
> liking Geany best.    I had tried kDevelop, but it added its own files,
> and even added them to git without my permission.   I like the editor to
> just edit.    The one feature I am missing, and it is likely my own
> ignorance of the tool, is pick a section of existing code, and have it
> make the indentation pretty based on the scope terminators.  Not needed,
> but it is nice to be able to be lazy when re-arranging code or ripping
> out chunks, and have the tool clean up the alignment.
I haven't done this but I think you can have your feature using your favorite external beautifier.
Use menu: Edit/Format/Send Selection to/"your custom beautifier command"

My only desire after 5 years of use is to set the default window size.  It seems to pick it for you or choose the last size you used.  I do not work in full-screen but sometimes I expand the view to
look at something.  If I quit with it huge the next time I start it up it's huge by default and I can't just un-Maximize it. Everything else I'm quite happy with.

Bill
--
/"Bill the son of Thor and grandfather of Odysseus"/