[NCLUG] Tuesday April 10th, 2017 NCLUG Meeting

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Apr 10 19:19:13 MDT 2018

jdewitt at verinet.com wrote:
> What: Tuesday April 10th, 2017 NCLUG Meeting
> When: Tuesday April 10th, 2017, 6pm
> Where: Fort Collins Creator Hub,
>   1304 Duff Dr Unit 15, Fort Collins, CO; map:
> Topic:  Short Topics!

We were few in prearranged topics and therefore chitter-chattered for
the first 20 minutes while people trickled into the new classroom
area.  The new classroom area is further in through the sliding glass
doors.  If you arrive late and don't see anyone please keep walking
and look through those doors into the next room.

Then things really got going when Nathan gave a talk on creating new
bash completions.  Bash is the default command line shell on most
distributions.  Bash completion is a way to add custom TAB completion
to the command line.  Nathan said that while documentation was a
little hard to locate that the actual task was relatively straight
forward and he found it easy to make some custom TAB completion for
his creations.  After watching his demos I know I am more likely to
create bash completions for my own stuff.

Marc then talked about IPVS.  According to the web page "IPVS (IP
Virtual Server) implements transport-layer load balancing inside the
Linux kernel, so called Layer-4 switching.  IPVS running on a host
acts as a load balancer at the front of a cluster of real servers, it
can direct requests for TCP/UDP based services to the real servers,
and makes services of the real servers to appear as a virtual service
on a single IP address."  Marc gave a tour of how he is using it.  He
liked it and said that it is working well for them.  At the time they
implemented this they were getting thousands of connections for smtp
and this was a solution to be able to scale out to handle it.

  http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/software/ipvs.html

Aaron talked briefly, a standing talk, about using HA Proxy.  HA Proxy
is doing a similar task to IPVS but doing so in user space rather than
in the Linux netfilter.

James teased us with some talk of his recent experiences with
Kubernetes.  Hopefully next month he will have some demos for us.

For a change of dinner pace the group decided to try out the new
Panhandler's under new ownership and at a new location at 2721
S. College Ave.  None of us have been there yet.