[NCLUG] Tuesday August 14th, 2018 NCLUG Meeting

Aaron D. Johnson adj at fnord.greeley.co.us
Thu Aug 30 14:52:29 MDT 2018

In message <20180814193019409201980 at bob.proulx.com>, Bob Proulx writes:
> UPDATE:
> Unfortunately, Aaron is not well today, and so we will have to
> postpone the Ceph storage cluster demo scheduled for tonight, Aug
> 14.  We plan to reschedule when Aaron is able, so please keep this
> topic in mind.

It turns out that Aaron was exceedingly not well the evening of the
meeting.  Had some sort of infection that escalated into really bad
things and spent a few days in the hospital.  The Greeley hospital is
as nice as a hospital can be, but the limit of hospital niceness is
sadly pretty low.  But have made it home and seem to be mostly
recovered.  Now it's time to work on the 1000+ email backlog...

Thanks for the warm thoughts and apologies for the forced change of
topic.

>> Tonight:  Short topics.
>>     And, Did you have any problem setting up for the Ceph demo?
>
> Unfortunately our presenter Aaron came down sick the 24 hours before
> the meeting.  Get some sleep Aaron and get well soon!  Therefore the
> topic changed to a short topics presentation night.  We will
> re-schedule the cephs topic for a future date.

Work has me in Arizona the night of the September meeting, so (unless
something weird happens) we can plan on trying again in October.

> Bob passed around some show-n-tell.  The collection of three
> different sets of hardware that was assembled for the cephs
> walkthrough.  The main one being a 1st generation Banana Pi setup
> with SATA attached SSD disk, times two to make it into a cluster.
> The BPi's are quite fast with high speed network and reasonable
> speed SATA.  A laptop with USB connected hard drives.  (Yawn.
> Nothing exciting there.)  And a set of Raspberry Pis with USB
> attached SD cards for storage.  I am interested to know if the RPi's
> can keep up.  The RPi's are quite slow.

We can actually watch that while putting some load on the cluster.  If
one of the storage servers stops responding in a timely fashion, we'll
get to see it marked out of the cluster and what happens after that.

> Nathan gave an impromptu presentation on his recent DKIM setup on
> his mail server.  OpenDKIM is an open source implementation of the
> DKIM (Domain Keys Identified Mail), now standardized by the IETF
> (RFC6376).

This is on my list of things to do as well.  Nowhere near the top,
sadly.

> Discussion turned to a quick roundtable survey of mail transport
> agents, imap servers, and mail clients.  Of the people running their
> own mail servers Postfix was the only MTA being used.  For IMAP it
> was Dovecot.  For mail clients their was no consensus.  Use what you
> like best and all will work with the IMAP server.  However there was
> some interest in web mail clients.  RoundCube being a favored one.
> And of course the oldest is SquirrelMail last updated 2013 and a new
> one that no one here had tried is MailPile.

Running Postfix, Taylor UUCP, Dovecot (IMAPS but internal network
only), Squirrelmail for my wife (she did not care for Roundcube when I
inflicted it on her), and nmh (and GNU emacs for editing) for my own
MUA.

> Alex then gave a demonstration of his home guinea pig temperature
> monitoring on the web.  That came along with his guinea pig web cam.
> Live piggie stream!  FTW!  Very cute little piggies!

My daughter saw this bit of the message as is very jealous.

Sorry again about missing the meeting.  I look forward to seeing
everyone who hasn't up and moved away in October.

- Aaron