[NCLUG] crazy git question

Gabriel L. Somlo gsomlo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 07:57:19 MST 2018

Thanks to everyone for the ideas! I ended up checking out a commit
a few days more recent than the timestamp of the files in the
tarball, and kept checking whether each subsequent commit appeared
to be there in the tarball (I know, a bit lame). I stopped when I
noticed the first upstream commit that was "missing" from the tarball.

At this point, anything in the tarball and *not* in the last commit
would have been presumably local hacks applied on top. Luckily, that
wasn't the case -- turns out I had received a clean upstream
intermediate development version tarred-up after the .git directory
had been removed...

I'm guessing it's not a frequent enough use case to merit writing a
git subcommand or flag for it...

Thanks again,
--Gabriel