[NCLUG] Tuesday March 13, 2017 NCLUG Meeting at FCCH

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Mar 13 19:29:15 MDT 2018

jdewitt at verinet.com wrote:
> What: Tuesday March 13, 2017 NCLUG Meeting
> When: Tuesday March 13, 2017, 6pm
> Where: Fort Collins Creator Hub,
>   1304 Duff Dr Unit 15, Fort Collins, CO; map:

Before the meeting there was very hobnobbing about fake videos on the
net.  We watched a couple of the more well known ones.  Just a
distraction.

  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/a-wing-and-a-prayer-2/

James brought in a monitor this meeting.  That meant we could actually
see the demonstration on a bright display instead of needing to squint
into the drywall trying to make out the dim projector.

The NCLUG meeting was opened by James DeWitt.  James talked a little
bit about his Pi project which uses a NoIR camera.  A pi camera
without the IR filter.  Unfortunately the belief is that it was killed
by a static discharge.

Steven Armour then demonstrated an instrument project using LXI and
SCPI.  His project code is in Python of course.  He talked about his
experiences communicating with some HP instruments for data
collection.  The overall goal is to remove the use of handheld
multimeters and hand written lab notes of values.  Automation is
good.

Seven then talked about a using SPICE, a simulation program for
circuits, along with Pandas, a python data manipulation and analysis
library.  Along with how to use this with KiCAD

  http://kicad-pcb.org/

  https://pyspice.fabrice-salvaire.fr/

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandas_%28software%29

Bob talked quickly about an automated Spectre and Meltdown checker.
As things have become more well known these are becoming more
reasonably available.  Here is one.  It seems pretty useful for
presenting using information about the system configuration.

  https://github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker.git

Secondly there is an ssh encryption protocol checker.  This is in a
similar way a script that will probe a remote ssh daemon and report
useful information about the protocols available.  Useful when
auditing systems for vulnerable encryption protocols.

  https://github.com/arthepsy/ssh-audit

Aaron then talked about Ceph.  Ceph is a scalable storage cluster
system.  Ceph aims primarily for completely distributed operation
without a single point of failure, scalable to the exabyte level, and
freely available.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceph_(software)