[NCLUG] Tuesday October 9th, 2018 NCLUG Meeting

Aaron D. Johnson adj at fnord.greeley.co.us
Wed Oct 10 15:50:26 MDT 2018

Bob Proulx writes:
> Aaron showed up with a metric boatload of equipment.  Many of the
> rest of us also managed to lug in various and assorted equipment.  I
> don't know about the others but playing with hardware is always a
> fun time for me and so I had fun with it.

It may have been an imperial carload of stuff.  But yeah; there was a
lot of it.  I managed to not injure myself bringing it in.  And not
destroy the Creator Hub's table setting it up.  What Bob said about
hardware holds true for me, too.  It's fun playing with physical
things.

> However poor Aaron's networking fell down and could not be lifted
> back into working order.  Something that had been working three
> hours before in Greeley before he packed it up and carted it to Fort
> Collins was no longer working upon arriving and set up again here.

I left it all in the car last night.  Bringing the switch and the HP
server I couldn't get talk to each other last night back into the
house, they seem to talk to each other just fine.  Cursed demo
gremlins!  The server has been migrated to the "dump me in Best Buy's
recycle bin" pile and will likely be disposed of tonight.  (2x Xeon
E5420 and 16Gibytes of RAM in 2Gibyte DIMMs is really not very
exciting any more.  Especially when it uses 200+ Watts of electricity
to do nothing.)

> Having given up on the demo Aaron was called upon to talk and to
> answer questions.  There were some good ones from the group.  A good
> time was had by all regardless.

It was a good time.  While regretable that the demo didn't work out,
the conversations was very enjoyable.

A big thank you to all the people who helped with putting the hardware
back into my car.  It went much faster than the unloading.  :)

- Aaron