[NCLUG] NCLUG Meeting, Tuesday September 11th, 2018 at the Fort Collins Creator Hub

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Sep 11 19:51:52 MDT 2018

jdewitt at verinet.com wrote:
> What: Tuesday September 11th, 2018 NCLUG Meeting
> When: Tuesday September 11th, 2018, 6pm
> Where: Fort Collins Creator Hub,
>   1304 Duff Dr Unit 15, Fort Collins, CO; map:

Eddie started off the meeting talking about bash idiocy with git.  Or
as he otherwise called it "git stash pancake".

Bob then gave a demonstration of Jitsi Multi-platform open-source
video conferencing.  I hate to use the brand Skype but it is the FLOSS
Skype killer.  It is a zero configuration video conferencing client.

And in fact we were already using Jitsi to stream Eddie's
demonstration so that David could view the meeting remotely.  Then we
had everyone with a laptop get on the network and join the room.  This
worked quite well and David reported the audio to be good.  Audio was
good until we had a half dozen microphones all generating conflicting
phases of audio.  Everybody muted and things were back in service
again.  https://meet.jit.si/NCLUG worked pretty well.

Jitsi is pretty cool.  Everything is dynamic and created on the fly.
No configuration or sign-ups needed.  Check it out!

  https://jitsi.org/

Alex pulled us through use of Riot.im a FLOSS client similar to what
we might think of as a combined Slack, IRC, messaging, sharing
client.  I have been hearing a lot about Riot (and also Mastodon).
Check it out.

  https://about.riot.im/

Then Bill talked about vim hacks to work better with SQL databases.

And then we had a discussion of syntax highlighting in various
environments, vim, eclipse, and so forth.

Then Alex gave a demonstration of using his SDR (software defined
radio) to sample his electronic car key.  Pretty cool!

  https://github.com/merbanan/rtl_433
  https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide
  https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/POCSAG