help with systemctl Ubuntu 22.04

Stephen Warren swarren-tag-list-nclug at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Sep 29 05:54:27 UTC 2023

On 9/28/23 14:25, Phil Marsh wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to start vncserver as a service on bootup.

Does this VNC server act as its own X display, or does it screen-scrape
what's shown on your regular monitor and serve that over VNC? If the
latter, you want to start VNC after you've logged in, not at boot.

> my /etc/systemd/system/vncserver.service file:
> [Unit]
> Description=VNC server
>
> [Service]
> ExecStart=/opt/TurboVNC/bin/vncserver
> User=viking
> Group=viking

You may need to enable "user linger" for that username, so that systemd
doesn't kill any processes running as that user once you've logged out.
I'm not sure if this is only required for processes started by
cron/similar, or also processes launches by systemd.

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/systemd/User
Search for "2.2 Automatic start-up of systemd user instances"