Tuesday April 9th, 2024 NCLUG Meeting, 6pm

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Wed Apr 10 02:09:52 UTC 2024

j dewitt wrote:
> What: Tuesday April 9th, 2024 NCLUG Meeting

All Your Bits Are Belong To Ceph

Tonight we actually had a scheduled topic!  Aaron works with Ceph
professionally as part of his day job.  Had been chatting with people
and there was an interest in hearing about Ceph.  Tonight was the
night!  Of course a couple of the folks who had expressed interest
were not here tonight.  Oh well.  They will have to read the slides
through later.

Ceph is used by very large corporations.  It is known to host
extremely large amounts of data.  It scales from small to extremely
large.  It provides redundancy for reliability.  It can recover from
data corruption or data loss due to datacenter level failures.  Ceph
can provide great performance with bandwidth at 1+ Tibibytes/sec have
been documented.

Aaron started the presentation with a general overview of Ceph.  Then
moved into some great details and examples.  It was a compressed
introductory course to Ceph.  I am motivated to set up a Ceph cluster
in my basement, er, underground facility now.

Along the way Aaron says that the Paxos Part-Time Parliament paper by
Leslie Lamport (famous computer scientist and mathematician) which is
the basis for the "monitor" daemons to form a quorum was a fun read.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paxos_(computer_science)
    https://lamport.azurewebsites.net/pubs/lamport-paxos.pdf

Some alternatives to Ceph can be constructed modularly using other
individual parts.  ZFS file system.  MinIO S3 compatible object store
is AGPL.  LINSTOR from Linbit, the people behind DRBD block clustered
storage.

Aaron's slides of the presentation!

    https://home.fnord.greeley.co.us/~adj/nclug/2024-04/