Looking for a low-power computer to drive two or three 4K monitors

Phil Marsh microcraftx at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 21:27:35 UTC 2024

Hi,
Could someone advise me? I'm looking for a low energy use computer setup to
drive two or three 4K monitors. Presently, I run a big tower server to do
that but it's from 2014 and eats enough power to keep my office warm - two
E5-2630v2s but it can't compete with my newer server stack for compute
power anyway and I'm thinking of getting a dual EPYC motherboard to upgrade
it for computing if I really need more compute power. In any case, it seems
wasteful to use an old server like this just to drive my 4K monitors.
I tried a Dell laptop XPS 9370 13" with a docking station but found that
while the docking station has two 4K DVI ports, it appears to still be able
to drive a maximum of one 4K monitor. While that's great when I travel (I
typically pack a 4K monitor in my luggage), in my home office I run two 4K
monitors and might even want to run three 4Ks.
I was looking into the Intel NUC machines but does anyone know if they'll
actually drive at least two 4K monitors?
Could you kindly give me your experiences and ideas?
Thanks,
Phil