[NCLUG] Configuring Telnet on RH6.2

Matt Pujol mattp at lsil.com
Mon Dec 4 14:49:57 MST 2000

Marty,

Thanks.  The telnet server idea did it.  I got it off the RH distro.  RH, in
their infinite wisdom, decided to enable ftp and telnet via inetd.conf, but
have the default workstation configuration install either.  Then, in all their
help stuff, they act like it ought to just work.  I guess telnet and ftp
daemons are Server functions, not appropriate for Workstation.

Best Regards,

Matt

Martin Gelfand wrote:

> > Hello Admirers_of_Penguins,
> >
> > I loaded RH6.2 on a box here and have been attempting to turn on
> > telnet.  I set /etc/hosts.allow to ALL:ALL, fooled with /etc/inetd.conf
> > (the telnet service line was there and uncommented out), restarted inet
> > a few times, even rebooted a couple of times.  I still get "Connection
> > closed by foreign host" even when I telnet to myself.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Some basic questions....
>
> * Is the telnet daemon installed?  Does its name match the
>   inetd.conf entry?
>
> * Is there anything in the logfiles associated with the attempts to connect?
>
> * What happens if you start the telnet daemon by hand, in
>   debug mode?
>
> Regards,
> Marty Gelfand
> Dept of Physics, Colorado State