[NCLUG] DNS problems

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Dec 11 13:24:17 MST 2000

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 10:22:12PM +0000, dobbster wrote:
>Judging from the fact that my messages sometimes bounce and sometimes
>take several days to arrive on the list, I would guess that there might
>still be problems with FRII's DNS.  I guess that's what this thread was
>originally about.

What do you have in your /etc/resolv.conf?  It should probably look something
like:

	search frii.com
	nameserver 216.17.128.1
	nameserver 216.17.128.2

You can directly query those DNS servers for what they thing the mail exchanger
for nclug.org is with:

	[root at dev /root]# host -t mx nclug.org 216.17.128.1
	Using domain server 216.17.128.1:
	Host not found, try again.
	[root at dev /root]# host -t mx nclug.org 216.17.128.2
	Using domain server 216.17.128.2:
	Host not found, try again.

Hmm.  That's not good...  I'll drop them another e-mail.

 I never thought I would live in a country which had a
 self-declared president.