[NCLUG] On topic, but a little political

dobbster dobbster at frii.com
Wed Dec 13 12:27:26 MST 2000

Given all of the political talk recently, I wanted to share an amusing
anecdote, 100% true.  Please let me know if you think this is
inappropriate (flames don't faze me too much).

Last week I wrote Richard Stallman and asked him to consider running for
president.  I was half-kidding, and I didn't expect a response.

To my surprise, he did respond (I was actually quite flattered!)  I've
swapped a few messages with him since, and I asked him permission to
post some of his message content to NCLUG (which he commented should
really be called "GNU/NCLUG".)  He granted me permission, and he also
gave me a good lecture about Open Source/Free software, as well as other
political topics.

I found his messages interesting and amusing, and thought they might be
appropriate to post.  It's not really off topic, given who he is...

Anyway, this is part of what he said.  To avoid rekindling our recent
political controversies, I have blocked out certain names (although I'll
bet you can guess who they are).  The portions of my original message
are indented.  If anyone is interested, I can send you the details.

Mark (dobbster at frii.com)