[NCLUG] On topic, but a little political

dobbster dobbster at frii.com
Wed Dec 13 15:30:37 MST 2000

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 07:27:26PM +0000, dobbster wrote:
> >post some of his message content to NCLUG (which he commented should
> >really be called "GNU/NCLUG".)  He granted me permission, and he also
>
> That's not EVEN funny.
>
> >gave me a good lecture about Open Source/Free software, as well as other
> >political topics.
>
> Stallman?!?  Lecture?!?  Obviously this is a hoax...  ;-)
>
> >> I would get the votes of every hacker in America, except for the
> >> right-wing ones like Eric Ra***nd.
>
> Stallman slays me...
>
> Sean

Honest to gosh, he said these things...  No hoax!  He said a number of
other things, which I deemed too controversial for NCLUG (especially
considering the recent political weirdness/flaming lately here.  The man
definitely tends towards the "left".)

The thing that blew my mind is that someone of such legendary "guru"
stature has the time to talk to a relatively clueless person such as
myself (I mean, I am not a clueless newbie, but my UNIX expertise is
"moderate" at best...)  Maybe directly suggesting that he run for
president got his attention, although I am inclined to agree with him
that he might not be the best choice. :-)

If you're interested, I'd be glad to send you (or anyone else) a copy of
our email conversations...  Some of his comments (um, or lectures) are
quite amusing.

One thing I wonder is what he has against Eric Ra***nd?  I've read at
least one of Eric's writings ("The Cathedral and the Bazzar") but it
hardly struck me as "right-wing".  Does anyone understand what he meant?

Have any of you actually met him?  He strikes me as a bit of an odd
fellow.  Nevertheless, I am grateful to him for his role in
GNU/FSF/etc...

Mark (dobbster at frii.com)

P.S. Did you really form an "electile-dysfunction" list?  I've been
unable to subscribe to it.