[NCLUG] choosing a distrib

David Braley davbraley at home.com
Thu Nov 2 19:14:32 MST 2000

My best luck has been with Suse. I have used it since 6.0. (it is up to 7 now)
I have tried Red Hat 6.x/7.x, Mandrake 7.x (Red Hat on steroids?), and
Slackware 7. I guess I like Suse the best because it is not too intimidating
for the newbie, but at the same time, it does not try to control everything in
the installation process. Suse also ships with great manuals! A definite plus
for first-timers. I can see the benefits of dumbing-down the install to the
point that anyone could do it, but that takes some of the fun out of it (at
least for me). I got involved with Linux to learn something new! Anyway, I
recommend Suse.