[NCLUG] Looking for user reviews and installation CD-ROMs

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Mon Nov 6 21:57:49 MST 2000

On 06 Nov 2000 at 22:53:59, R P Herrold modified my mailspool to say:

> Goodness -- Please don't rely on 'heard' -- Pull and burn the
> ISOs, or do a ftp upgrade or install ... Decide for yourself.

Please don't assume that I automatically listen to every slashdot3r 5cr1p7
k1ddi3 who couldn't get RHAT 7.0 to work perfectly.

I'm not talking about installation problems (I don't even know if there are
any).

I'm talking about the choice to use a non-standard libc/compiler that will
have no binary compatibility with gcc 3.0, and who's binary format has been
declared a dead end.

I'm talking about the leaky file descriptors that would cause RHAT 7.0
boxen to crash within... two weeks, was it?

I'm talking about my general disgust in charging for the "RedHat Update
Network" or whatever the hell they call it now.

I'm talking about the automatic installation of said "RHAT Update Network
daemon" w/o my consent.

I purposefully did NOT do an ftp upgrade or install because I don't have
the time to fix the studipities in a x.0 release... I don't have time to
fix a horked box.

> I think of it as RH 6.3 -- rock stable, and the last pre-2.4
> kernel release --

Well, Redhat doesn't, hence the 7.0 version number.

I don't either.

> I use it; I recommend it; I support it.  It just works.

So do I... only for definitions of "it" that are "RHAT's third iteration of
a product."

Historically, both 5.0 and 6.0 have sucked... I've just come to expect that
from RHAT... that's not a bad thing... 5.2 and 6.2, IMO are both good
products, and RHAT needs to start somewhere; that doesn't mean I have to
automatically install whatever bits they press and ship.

Later,
Paul