[NCLUG] device configuration in linux (RH62)

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Sat Nov 11 09:48:32 MST 2000

I've got a PC here that I'm trying to run Linux on and
for some reason the RH installer is skipping the setup
network section. When I run the RH X-based netconfig
or the curse-base netcfg I don't do much better. When
I run LinuxConf things are, frankly, worse. Finally,
when I go mucking around in /etc/conf.modules and
/etc/sysconfig/network and .../network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
I am equally unsuccessful.

Ultimately I always get a [FAILED] message from the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network script when I try to start things.
This happens with a two different PCI cards: the 3COM 10/100
that uses 3c59x and a LinkSys card that, if I read the
Ethernet HOWTO correctly, should be a tulip card.

I never had any trouble with this box when it ran windows,
except Windows, of course, so I'm wondering if there is
some kind of device conflict and how to detect it.

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com