[NCLUG] device configuration in linux (RH62)

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Mon Nov 13 21:19:59 MST 2000

Charles Clarke wrote:
> Put a set -x on the second line of /etc/rc.d/init.d/network
> and let us know what line it fails on, etc.

Good idea. I put one in a lot of places (i.e., things that "network"
invokes) and eventually found out the line was:

	/sbin/ifconfig eth0
	eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

(The virgin install had no eth0 alias in /etc/conf.modules so I added
one mapping it to tulip for the LinkSys and 3c95x for the 3Com.)

Per Sean's advice, I did an lspci (thanks for the tip!) and found

	00:00.0 host bridge ... blah blah ... Intel ... 430HX ...
	00:07.0 ISA .. blah blah .. Intel ..
	00:07.1 IDE interface .. blah blah .. Intel ..
	00:11.0 VGA .. blah blah .. ATI ..
	00.13.0 Ethernet controller: Bridgecom, Inc:
		unknown device 0985 (rev 11)

PCI has always been a mystery to me. Anyone care to unravel this one?

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com