[NCLUG] recommenations for vpns

adj at ccltd.com adj at ccltd.com
Fri Nov 17 12:58:32 MST 2000

> Anyone have any recommendations for VPN software under Linux?

FreeS/WAN.  If you want a real VPN.  For definitions of real that
specify IPSEC.  I've Debianized FreeS/WAN (anyone want this?) and have
been making kernel RPMs with it as well.  IPSEC is a moderate pain to
set up, though.

But there are also other things you can use.  VPND sets up an
encrypted SLIP connection between two hosts.  When it works, it's
great; it really sucks when it breaks, though.  When encountering an
error, it reports a numberc error code with no explanation to be
found. You can run ppp over ssh, which can work as well as VPND,
there's just more pieces to break.  The log messages are much better
than VPND when doing this, though.  And there are also PPTP and L2TP
solutions for Linux as well, but I haven't looked into either of those
deeply.

HTH

Aaron
--