[NCLUG] hardware issues

Mark C. Smith markcs at CS.ColoState.EDU
Sun Nov 19 14:04:16 MST 2000

Bryan,
Thanks for the reply.  I'm running a Diamond 3d 3000 (s3 virge -- uses the
SVGA server).  Right now, I've got the card to display 1280x1024, but it
hangs when I start/restart X at random times.  This is bad b/c X captures
the keyboard right before it hangs and I can't switch terminals to kill
the process.  I noticed some pretty funky features for video in the bios.
Did you have to set any of these to something other than default to get
your video to work right?
Also, since I've got you reading, I can't put my MonsterII (3dfxII) card in
w/o the bios hanging on updating the ESCD.  Have you ever heard of that?
My first thought is that it has something to do w/ the card not providing
an IRQ (or at least that's what the bios tells me).  I've e-mailed Tyan
about that, but it might take a while,  as these things tend to do.
Heh, dual processors is the way it was meant to be :)  I've been trying
to max out my resources w/ Java 2D, but it stands its ground pretty well.
I'm running pIII 450's.  How about you?  Supposedly, according to
the motherboard manual, you can control fan speed and monitor temp. through
the bios.  Any luck w/ doing that?

Take it easy,
Mark

Mark c. Smith				 Markcs at CS.ColoState.EDU
Dept. Computer Science                   http://WWW.CS.ColoState.EDU/~markcs
Colorado State University		 (970)491-5305 (work)