[NCLUG] Netscape Instability

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Nov 20 16:30:28 MST 2000

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 04:05:03PM -0700, adj at ccltd.com wrote:
>(which will sleep) and goes off to do other stuff until dns-helper has
>a response.  squid (web caching software) uses a similar architecture.

Yeah, except that squid's works.  ;-)  It seems like the entire Netscape
will hang during a connection attempt -- perhaps it's not caused by
the DNS lookup but instead by something else,  But it sure seems to
hang up the entire thing something.

>Javascript hasn't caused me too many browser lock up type problems
>aside from the odd infinite loop in the javascript itself.  And
>Netscape's CSS support is implemented in Javascript.

I hate those sites that pop up new browser window.  Gak.

>Nope, nothing obvious.  Web browsers all seem to suck.  Netscape has
>some nasty memory leaks in it, too.  Though Mozilla's nice enough that
>I've been using it almost exclusively at home for the past few months.

Yeah, though I haven't had as many memory leak problems with
netscape in the last few months...  It's probably fixed.

 Thieves broke into Scotland Yard yesterday and stole all the toilets.
 Detectives say they have nothing to go on.